Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - Erin is doing good

Hello my dear friends and family. So the big question is what in the world happened to Erin? Well she was doing great. So great that we were discharged from PCMC on Monday. Both of us were so glad to sleep at home. I have a greater appreciation for my own bed and pillow. You know how it is.

Anyway, at 5:30 Erin woke me up and told me that her head hurt real bad. She had a headache the night before and I gave her some Tylenol. I thought maybe I should given her some during the night and that was why she woke up with a headache.

I gave her some more Tylenol and she laid down. At 7:30 am. she was in tears. The pain was intense, so I called PCMC and talked to the neurosurgeon who called in a prescription of Loratab. She said it would help with the pain. At 8:30 am Erin started throwing up. By the time we got the prescription filled she had thrown up twice. I gave her the Loratab and she continued to throw up...Well it just got worse from there. Headaches increased, continued to vomit. It was just scary.

I called PCMC and the neurosurgeon said to bring her in. I left Orem at 3:30 pm and arrived at the ER at PCMC at 4:15. I was speeding. Lucky me I didn't get caught. When I arrived at the ER I carried her in, by the time I got inside she was non-responsive and threw up some more. I was crying by this time.

They took her back to a room right away. The room filled up with people and carts. I counted 10 people, 12 counting me and the Social worker who was assigned to follow me everywhere until some family members arrived to support me. It was crazy, and scary. She just laid there and I couldn't believe what i was seeing. Finally she came around, and started to be her spunky self again.

From there we went for a CT scan to see what was going on. She had an immense amount of fluid on the brain. She was taken immediately to surgery where they put an Exterior Ventricular Drain (EVD) in. It will help drain the fluid and release the pressure from the brain.

So now she is fine. Pressure is gone, fluid is draining because of the EVD. Tomorrow they will adjust the EVD and see how she does. Each day they will adjust it a little more. So we will be at PCMC for about 7 days.

Here is to hoping and praying that the EVD works and all goes well.

Thank you for your emails, text messages, love, prayers and support. What an adventure.

We are in room 2024 in the Neuro Trauma Unit (NTU) at PCMC if you would like to come and see us.

Nancy and Erin =)

Nancy, I just read this to

Nancy, I just read this to the kids because we were wondering about Erin after family prayer. Wow, a second surgery. We are all so relieved she's doing so well again now! Give her a hug for us please. :)